Sunday, December 27, 2009

Schöne Weihnachten!

As promised, here is holiday season post nummer zwei.
Regarding general day to day activities, I've been quite busy with my internship at the Goethe-Institut, as well as with the B23 German class (the highest class of the intermediate level; after this come the 'C', or advanced, classes and our goal is for me to test somewhere in that level in May) I've been sitting in on as a guest student in order to get my German up and running. Not gonna lie, it's pretty hard to concentrate on German homework and actually
learn something from it when you've been up since the early morning, in class from 8:30am to 1:00pm, and then in the office doing internly duties for the rest of the day (depending on the day, we might get out earlier or later, but usually no later than 5:00pm unless there's an event planned which requires our attendance). But I try to get the most out of it and I have learned quite a bit... Like what "Fortschritt" and all its variations mean. :)

A couple Saturdays ago, it snowed! 8:00am, I heard Leah talking and getting dressed which I thought was unusual until I looked up at my loft skylight window covered in white frozen stuff, which could only mean one thing... SNOW DAY! It was simply amazing; I couldn't get enough of it. Sadly, it melted later on but it's for sure more snow than I would have gotten in Texas. 

The last day of class we ate (my "American brownies" actually ended up turning beige; the consistency was pretty accurate, the color not so much), watched a DVD with short skits, played musical chairs with German grammar question (der bose Braziliener beat me and I came in second place) and played a kind of murder mystery game. We also got to hear why Leo wants to kill all Germans (issues with the Guest House, where 99% of the students stay). This guy is a character and we're all going to miss him. "You should ask for a package full of things you love! What do you love? I don't know what you love, but you should ask for a package full of things you love!"

Thursday marked the first official day of Winter Break for me. About six or so days later than what I'm used to, but I'm nonetheless thankful that vacation is finally here. Unlike my friends who are or were still in German school, I didn't get a Fall Break or start my break several days earlier like a lot of people.

The past few days has been so much laziness to the point where I might explode if I don't do something soon, but at the same time I've felt like I have so much to do. That would include ghost writing a college recommendation for a teacher who will then edit and submit it to my colleges. I highly dislike writing about myself and what I think are my achievements, especially when you don't know whether or not you're overshooting. 


Anyway, back to Christmas and such. The evening of Christmas Eve, we went over to my host mom's brother's house (mind you, this means walking through the backyard) to eat with the rest of the family. It was pouring rain, so we opted for the car. Apparently every Christmas is the same (and you can definitely tell it's the same every year. Well okay, they have to decide which songs to sing), but there's good food, presents and it's the first Christmas I've spent with many more people than I usually do.

Funny video of the day:


















We're flying to England on the 28th and will be coming back on the 1st in 2010. 
Happy New Year / Bonne Année / Ein Gutes Neues Jahr / Szczęśliwego Nowego Roku / שנה טובה
                                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment